* Recognizes childbirth as a key life experience.
* Helps assist in researching and writing an individualized
* Gives you undivided attention; her role is to be at your side
* Understands the emotional needs of a woman in labor.
or suggests comfort measures during labor.
* Offers techniques regarding relaxation, massage
and position changes.
* Remains objective and calm during labor.
help you understand how your labor is progressing.
* Offers encouragement and support during long or difficult
* Gives suggestions to help you cope and help your labor
* Enhances communication between you and the birth team.
with your birth companion in understanding the
* Helps your family get off to a great start as new parents after
* Helps with initial breastfeeding and support.
* Offers postpartum follow-ups
for the family.
* Doulas do NO clinical skills.